Sunday, January 27, 2008

Living from day to day.

As the weeks go by things get busier, I meet more people, want to build more relationships, and more activities are going on. A week ago Friday the main church here, "A Dios Sea La Gloria" had a 24 hour prayer and worship service where the youth stayed and prayed and worshiped for 24 hours. I was only there for the last 6 hours or so of it but it was an amazing experience. Even though I didn't head to the church for that reason, God knew I needed to be there and wanted me to be there. I came to the church to talk with Yuneidis, b/c I needed someone to talk to I was having a hard couple days, just wanted a hug and wanted someone to talk to! I talked with her and felt better and then just went in the church and sat in God's presence. That's really what I needed, to be still and know that He is God - listen to worship, and be refreshed, be encouraged by God. God knew exactly what I needed.
Friday and Saturday nights, the guys across the street in Parquecito, Eddie, Davy, Carlos, Grey always want me to go with them to 'piques' - drag racing with street cars, - it's fun to go and see the different cars, and a 'night life' culture of Venezuela as well!!
Days at the school are getting better there are still good days and bad days. The schedule is now a little different now that classes have gotten rolling and established somewhat of a routine. I know teach 1/2 of the class english while the other 1/2 of the class goes to music. I teach for roughly and hour. That's all. My new dilemma is how do I teach english when the students only have english ONCE every TWO weeks. I'm trying to think of vocabulary or themes to do, with the students, but feeling like they aren't going to remember anything from 2 weeks ago!!!!! Sure it's easy lesson planning because use the same lessons for 2 weeks with minor adjustments of course with what worked and what didn't work. I don't really know what to do - I have to make my own curriculum as well so I don't have anything to follow. Classes have been good overall, found activities that work to keep all students involved and participating - well with the colors anyways!!!! Thursday I took extra time to 'invest' in the life of the pre-schoolers so they! We had english for 20 mins - 30 mins and then they wanted to play so incorporating some english I just played with the preschoolers for an hour or so, it was awesome! When I was ready to leave they were like, 'No, no te vayas!! No puedes quedar y jugar un ratico mas!!!" (No, don't go!! Can't you stay and play a little longer!??) It was fun, refreshing just to run around and play with the preschoolers!!
All of the students need prayers, I know that classes are going better each week because of prayer. Thank you all for your prayers continue to lift up the school, teachers, and students!! Another prayer request - The 16th - 19th or so of Feburary is the annunal conference here in Venezuela and I have been asked to translate for David Harvey who is coming to mediate the conference. I need prayers for vocabulary and wisdom in translation!! Paul, Sue, Lori, Eddie, Carloyis, are going to be in Caracas - that leaves me the only one to translate!!!

No comments: